Image Map

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Snap Chat For Blogging...Wait...What?


At the recent Manhatten Beach Bloggers’ Meet-up, a few of us were talking about our fave social media outlets.  Of course, I was all, “Instagram all the way, baby!”  BUT I also chatted about my other love...

SNAP CHAT!

It’s seriously addicting and once you’re past the initial set up (which let’s be honest, is NOT user friendly), it’s super fun and can be used to keep in all day contact with your followers.  

So today’s post is all about how to set up an account & how you can use it to strengthen your blogging family.

1.  What is SnapChat?
You know when you first got Instagram and you thought everything was post worthy, so you chose your favorite filter and bugged everyone who followed you?  That's what SnapChat is for!

SnapChat is a social media app that let’s you share instant photos & video clips with friends and followers for limited times...think PeriScope.  I think originally it was meant for inappropriateness, but I love it for sending photos throughout my day to my friends and husband of things that make me laugh or roll my eyes. 

Rather than innandating my Instagram feed with photos only my bestie would like or understand, SnapChat let's me share photos with only the people I chose to send it to!  No more losing followers bc you thought everything was post worthy when really only you thought it was cool ;)

It also doesn’t take up data on your phone unless you save a photo to your own camera roll.

Basically, I support your use of SnapChat!  I Snap more than I text because it is so dang fun!

2. Choosing a user name
When creating your SnapChat account, chose your user name wisely!!  You can change your name in your account at anytime, but your username is set for life! Dun, Dun, Dun!

Your “Name” (as SnapChat calls it) is how you will appear on the app, so choose something your friends or followers will know you by.  If you are using this primarily as an extension of your blog & Insta family, consider making your blog name your SnapChat name.  

Depending how you add friends or how they add you will dictate what you are displayed as in their phone or vise-versa.  For example, if you add someone from your address book, their name will be what you have them as there.  OR if you “scan someone’s ghost,” you will see their SnapChat name in your app.

3.  Why use SnapChat?
It is a great way for you to share a lot of classroom and product content without annoying people on Instagram by flooding their feed with your pics ;) 

  When I use my SnapChat for blogging, I post pictures to my story. 
This let’s anyone who has added me view anything I post for 24 hours...so be sure to post tasteful and school-safe photos.

In the above picture, you can see where I would select "My Story."  You can also see my top friends that I send “exclusive” photos to (some are listed by user names, others by my phone contacts).   
 
Another way you could use SnapChat to benefit your blog or TpT store is by announcing flash sales to your followers to give them exclusive information!  

4.  Adding Friends
To have people follow you, share your "ghost" and username on your preferred social media of choice and let your followers add you!
Do not add anyone that is not your real life friend, or else you will receive random pics and videos from strangers!  I repeat: Let people add YOU and then share with them via your story.

5.  Beware!
People can screenshot your videos and pictures...so ya know, use with caution.  SnapChat users are also allowed one replay of a video or picture per day!

6.  How to use SnapChat
"Snap" a photo of something cool you're doing in your classroom or the pile of papers you have to grade, add a caption and some emojis, choose the length of time you want people to be able to see your photo, press the bottom arrow, select "My Story."  To record videos, hold the button down and follow the directions from above.  You can also add illustrations and filters over top your videos and photos.

My favorite blogger to follow on SnapChat is TheAlisonShow... she's the funniest person alive.
Now go add SnapChat to your brand, add me on SnapChat, and check out my SnapChat story!
 
   

2 comments:

  1. Love love love! & I see me on there as your "besties". Apparently we don't teach all day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha yup!!! Told you you'd love SnapChat!!

    ReplyDelete