Image Map

Saturday, February 6, 2016

10 Ways to Work Smarter, Not Harder

Every teacher is always looking for ways to get more hours in a day ...but let’s be honest, we’d all probably be happy with merely a few more MINUTES in our day!

I don’t plan to have all the answers, but I feel like I’ve got a good handle on things thanks to some tricks up my sleeve.  
It comes down to this: get ahead of what you can get ahead of, take advantage of wait time & transitions, & train your students to work for you!
For the non-abbreviated version here are my secrets... 
This is one of my dearest friend's class...just had to give credit to the amazing Miss Marietta doing her thang in the great state of TX!
1.Collecting tests:
  Collect ALL students’ tests by calling their numbers in reverse order.  I’ve trained mine to set their papers right-side up and turned in the right direction.  TADA!  Now, when I go to correct their work, I can begin grading right away and record grades right away instead of shuffling through papers to arrange them myself!

2.Correcting Tests:
  Don’t go through one test at a time, beginning to end!  NO, no, no.  Grade the tests in sections or pages so that you’re only looking at the same four problems in row.  Then look at the next section or group of questions on the test.  Your brain will get in a rhythm of seeing the correct answers in a row and your eyes will be able to quickly identify a wrong answer!

3.Collecting daily student work:
 
  Do NOT have one turn in bin!  Use a stacking paper tray so that students can sort their work as they turn things in.  Train students to place their finished work right-side up with their names pointing in a certain direction.  At the end of the day, I collect the papers and get to work...but I definitely do not spend a second sorting a single paper!

4.Collecting library books
  Kids have enough things to remember & to try not to lose, why make library books one of them?  When students are finished with their library books, they place them in a specially marked bin!  But that’s not all!   
  To help them remember [but really it’s for me to know] if they returned their books, each student must cross out their number when they put their books in the bin.  This way, a couple days in advance of when books are due, I [nicely] call out in front of the class who still has yet to turn in his or her book.  From there, I also send home one of my reminders, that you can find here, to those students whose books are missing.

5.Hanging things from the ceiling:
  Save time & resources by using the same strings each year.  Cut 'em, loop 'em, store 'em, & use a slip knot to quickly hang your students' work project after project!

6.Setting up for tomorrow
  While students are checking their cubbies & getting their backpacks & lunches, YOU can be productive too!  
Things I do while my kids are getting packed up:
  • change the date on the board
  •  write out the new list of “Must-Do’s” for tomorrow
  •  collect papers from the trays
  • switch out/sharpen pencils
  • organize my own desk.
  It just feels so good to walk back in to an organized classroom after I dismiss all my kids.  I can get right to prepping tomorrow’s lessons & crafts...or sit on my phone & look at Instagram. ;)

7.Parent Volunteers
  This may sound simple...& it is, so I guess I just want to encourage you to USE your parent volunteers!  Parents want to be involved, so put the ball in their court!  Set out a sign-up sheet full of crafts to prepped, donations needed, & in-class help you may want with the dates and times those things are needed.  I hang mine out by our drop-off spot in the morning, our pick-up spot in the afternoon, & my newsletter with a note to email me if someone would like to fill one of those volunteer items!  

8.Prepping for next week:
  During the transition between (for example) math and social studies, while students are putting away their math materials & taking out their social studies books, you have A LOT of time!  
  In my classroom it would look like this: My Monday-Friday daily work drawers are always full.  If I put back Tuesday's math lesson, I pull out the next Tuesday's lesson, write it in my plans, and set it in the drawer for next week.  At all times, there are 5 math lessons in my daily work drawers.

9.Reward ticket turn-ins:
  This time saver can be found for free in my store and is one of my favorite products!  Avoid the nagging, always last minute question of, “Can I turn in my tickets?” or as you’re walking out the door for dismissal, “Can I do the treasure chest?” 
  Help yourself plan & control when you’re going to dole out rewards by having your students fill out my “Ticket Redemption” form during their free time.  My students paperclip the appropriate number of tickets to the completed form & set it on a special place on my desk.  The next day, when it makes sense in the day, I can give the students what they paid for!
 
10.Name Tags:
  Here’s a two-for (sp?):  Laminate your name tags & add students’ names with sharpie.  If before the school year starts or during the year a student leaves, you can reuse the name tag by removing the name with nail polish remover!  Waste not, want not!
  Place velcro squares in uniform places on desks & the backs of name plates so that you can move students' seats with ease & clean under them!!

There you have it!  10 classroom hacks (can we call them that?) that will save you time & sanity!
To share this post, PIN this! 

What are you doing in your classroom to work smarter, not harder??  Share in the comments!  As one of my favorite bloggers, Schroeder Shenanigans in Second Grade says, “We’re better together.”



2 comments:

  1. I love the library put back bin! I need to do that, then at the end of the day one of my students can put them all back for me :) Sometimes they just throw them back somewhere and that does not work well for my OCD ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OHHH! That's a great idea! Mine is for the school library!

      Delete