Image Map

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Addition Mission: Possible


My kiddos love when I read to them, especially when it is in lieu of a math lesson.  Like I always tell them, there is a fun way to learn and there is a plain way to learn, and today was definitely one of those fun days! 

In our Saxon lessons, we teach acting out and writing some, some more problems (addition word problems), but in second grade, their creativity often clouds their word problems.  SO today we listened to silly addition problems while reading The Mission of Addition.



We read it twice because it is SO much fun and there is so much to take note of! 

During the first read aloud, students were only supposed to listen for synonyms for addition.  They wrote the words they heard on their whiteboards first.  Then we shared the words they caught, and I wrote them on our “Addition Key Words” collector, explaining that key words give us clues as to what to do and that all these words secretly tell us to add! 


Students also recorded the key words on their own green “Addition 'Key' Words” collector.  Baby steps to writing their own some, some more problems: using the right vocabulary!!

Don't mind this student coloring the wrong key green *face palm*

My students will keep this paper in their seatwork folder because I do not use interactive math notebooks, but have included a flaps version (is that what they are called?) for the keys if you’d like to use them that way!  After writing this, I reconsidered because my students have journals for Daily5 so we just put them in there! Duh Christina!

During the second read aloud of The Mission of Addition, students listened and looked for the some, some more problems.  Students then volunteered to share a some, some more problem they saw/heard in the book.  I’d turn to that page, reread the word problem, showing students the pictures and making sure to point out the KEY WORD that told us to add so that we could write the number sentence on our boards. 

VOILA!  Input, checking for understanding, guided practicenow for mastery during homework & a scoot! 
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Word-Problems-2139505

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Word-Problems-2139505

If you’d like to purchase the “Math Key Words Collector" bundle, (which includes interactive notebook flaps, poster keys, and single pages) click here!  The download includes addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division keys!

If you’d like to download my Addition & Subtraction Scoots Bundle, click here!

To win copies of the scoots & interactive notebook keys, please leave a comment below with your email.  I'll choose a winner Monday!

Get your FREE posters here in my store!

Enjoy your long weekend!!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this Brian Cleary book yet! Now I must get it! It would be a perfect addition to our word problem unit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT?!?!?! I don't believe YOU have never seen that one! Well, you better get the book now, bc my Math Key Words Collectors are headed your way! xoxox

    ReplyDelete