Image Map

Saturday, January 9, 2016

Really Easy Rewards



Happy New Year!!  
This week back kicked my booty, but I sure did miss my kiddos.  I had to jump on here to share something I rewarded my class with this week for the first time in my six years of teaching:

A TALENT SHOW!

In my class, my students work as a whole to earn bean parties.  You know, when they move all their beans from one jar to the other by doing well and following directions, they get their party.  I used to put off my kids earning their beans though because I was making the reward too complicated and costly.  That's why I decided to compile this list and share a little bit more about the positive reward system in 2A!

 
As we all know, camaraderie goes a long way in the classroom and I've found using these rewards in the classroom are invaluable.
 
At the beginning of the year after explaining the ins & outs of our classroom & the bean jar, we set a goal to work for as class.
 
We choose this goal together by brainstorming a list of fun, FREE things & then vote on them & start earning beans to earn that prize.

No matter what gets voted as our goal, we have a ton of fun!  Here are some of my personal faves:

1.     iPad Day:  This means every subject involves the use of our one-to-one iPads!  Of course I make sure the day we have our bean party is my class’ scheduled day for the iPad cart.  I stick to the day’s lesson plans & subject matter & simply find apps that lend themselves to what my students are going to be learning about!

Check out my very official modified plans for iPad day:
 
There are so many great apps out there, but for your reference, here is a link to a blog post I checked out when planning this day.  It’s from my Bloggy Bestie Jen Bonner from Sparkling in Second! (You probably already know her because she’s amazeballs.)

2.    Talent Show:  This was the reward that made me write this blog post!  When we chose the goal of a talent show, I told the kids to start thinking of what they could do; is it something they needed to practice like a dance routine or are there any materials they would need to bring for a magic trick? 

This was a low-key talent show done in the classroom without a stage or parents or costumes.  The day after they earned all their beans, they performed their talents!

It was truly entertaining!  I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did!

Here are some talents shown by my students just to give you an idea of how low-key this reward was:
·      Double-jointed fingers
·      Magic trick
·      Yo-yo tricks
·      Hair braiding
·      Singing
·      Break dancing (hehe)
·      Duct Tape creations
This student showed us how she makes these and then had samples!!! Raise your hand if you love samples!

I was so blown away with how fun & creative everyone’s talents were!  We really bonded & had a lot of fun. 

Now I don’t dread my students earning their bean party and instead can’t wait for us to do something fun & out of the ordinary together!  

What do you do to reward your students?  Leave some of your ideas in the comments!~

If you want to read about my tiered behavior management plan, click in here. 


No comments:

Post a Comment